The Homecare nurses of KMHC work collaboratively with KSCS's Home and Community Care Services and other professionals to provide health care to individuals who cannot seek medical attention due to diminished mobility, illness or their physical condition.
The program is aimed towards the elderly, chronically ill, disabled, terminally ill, and those convalescing from major hospitalizations necessitating nursing care. Ongoing nursing visits provide support and supervision needed to maintain an independent lifestyle and safely meet the demands of daily living.
Referrals to the Kahnawake homecare team are made by physicians, other agencies, family members, neighbors and patients themselves.
Home care services are provided Monday to Friday 8:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M. and on weekends for scheduled patients.
- On-call services are provided for palliative care patients.
- Evening dressing changes.
- Intravenous therapy
Ideally, the homecare team works hand in hand with families to provide the following services:
- Medications Assistant: Assist clients with medication compliance in accordance with Law 90.
- Personal Care: For people with loss of autonomy who require cueing or help with daily bathing and/or dressing.
- Meal Preparation: Work in conjunction with Meals on Wheels to ensure clients have at least one good meal per day.
- In Home Respite: Scheduled care provided for those who are not safe to be left alone, to give family members occasional breaks.
- Escorts: To provide medical escorts only when family is not available. Provide assistance for shopping, and errands when family is not available.
- Domestic Services: Help with basic household chores, usually provided on a weekly basis, based on assessments.
The Turtle Bay Elders’ Lodge (TBEL) is a residential elders institution, constructed based on National Building Codes and maintained under the National Fire & Safety Codes that provides a continuum of care to elders within their community that addresses health and social needs.
TBEL has 22 rooms, 25 beds (including five extended care rooms with eight extended care beds for those who require additional care). 17 Rooms are equipped with a kitchenette, private bath and a door that opens to your own green space to sit and enjoy the sun by your room or in the gazebo located at the back of the lodge
A community based service provided to all elderly Kahnawa’kehró:non who may need nutritional meals.
To provide elders or individuals in need of socialization access to activities and a meal in a central location